Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia is a pain syndrome characterized by chronic body aches ranging from mild to severe and unrelenting fatigue. Like rheumatoid arthritis, stress, fatigue, weather can all lead to a flare-up of symptoms.

Childhood Fibromalgia

For as long as I could remember, night time was accompanied by a terrible aching in my legs and arms. I would lie awake for hours, crying, wishing the pain would go away. My family doctor told my parents that I was suffering from growing pains and that it will go away on its own.

The years went by, and the pain never stopped. In high school, I was in a terrible amount of pain one day, and went to see a doctor at the school clinic. He prescribed me some muscle relaxants. These were, of course, ineffective.


Fatigue

In adulthood, fatigue took over my life. I could not seem to get enough rest, and would sit through my college courses bleary-eyed and foggy. My body ached, and I just wanted to curl up in bed with the lights off.

I complained to my doctor that I just couldn't shake of this awful tiredness. I was sent for an overnight sleep study, which looked for signs of sleep apnea or other sleep disorders. Nothing was found.


Diagnosis

At 22 years old, I had been working full time for about two months. I pushed myself through the day, drinking as much coffee as I could stomach. But eventually, by body said "no more." I was sitting at my desk, trying to type, my muscles screaming and my eyes burning. I broke down, and started sobbing.

The next day, I went to see a different doctor and begged her to figure out what was going on with me. For the first time ever, the doctor took my complaints seriously. She asked a long series of questions, did a physical exam, sent me for a few tests. "I think," she said, "you have fibromyalgia."

What is this strange word? After two decades of silent suffering, I finally had a name for this "friend" of mine.

Lifestyle overhaul

Being the researcher that I am, I read as much as I could about the disorder, or syndrome. I needed to learn to pace my self, be forgiving and gentle with myself. I had always been a bit of a perfectionist, pushing myself to the limit to succeed in whatever I did. 

I had to learn to tone it down, take it day by day, hour by hour. I took a part-time job, took naps during the day if I could. I went to bed early, giving ample time to sleep.

The pain and fatigue are present, and will never go away until a cure (or good treatment) is found. But it is much more manageable now. I have bad days, but the flare ups are less frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment